Energy Saving Tips for WinterNovember 17th, 2014
Cold temperatures and winter storms in the northeast United States are a major contributor to higher energy costs during the winter season. Gas furnaces must work harder to maintain comfortable temperatures inside homes and businesses across the northeast, as well in other parts of the country. In order to maximize your energy efficiency and savings during the winter, it’s important to follow a few simple steps.
Save Energy This Winter with Five Easy Tips
- Lower the temperature in your home or office building – although it’s tempting to set your thermostat slightly higher during the winter, setting your thermostat to 68 degrees could result in significant savings. According to the California Energy Commission, for every degree lower in the 60- to 70-degree range, you could save up to five percent on heating costs.
- Schedule HVAC maintenance – scheduling a routine checkup for your heating and cooling system makes sure your heating equipment is operating efficiently. Clogged air ducts, dirty air filters, and other parts not functioning properly can significantly increasing utility costs during the winter.
- Prevent heat loss –doors and windows are one of the leading causes of lost heat. To minimize the amount of warm air lost in your house or office look for places where heat can escape. These locations are generally found around window frames, doors, and where pipes enter/exit a wall (don’t forget to check under the sink and in other cabinetry, too!).
- Lower your hot water temperature – lowering your hot water heater to a “normal” setting (generally 120 degrees Fahrenheit) can save you 7 – 11 percent on water heating costs.
- Choose an affordable natural gas provider – Your natural gas provider has the biggest impact on your overall energy costs this winter. Click to learn more about UGI EnergyLink’s commercial and residential natural gas options.
Natural Gas Pricing Options from UGI EnergyLink
- Fixed pricing – Set your price in stone with fixed pricing from UGI EnergyLink. Our fixed pricing plans allow you to lock in pricing for an extended timeframe.
- Monthly pricing – In a deregulated market, monthly pricing gives you the flexibility of variable market conditions.
- Triggered Pricing – Working with an UGI EnergyLink representative, we will help you control prices by suggesting NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange) triggers at great pricing levels for your church.
- Fuel Switching – Based on market variables, you may have the option to select varied fuel choices to increase your home or business’s savings. This option allows you to take advantage of cheaper prices among different fuel options.
Learn more about natural gas from UGI EnergyLink
If you found these winterization tips useful, you may consider reading:
- Choosing a Commercial Natural Gas Supplier for Small Businesses in Pennsylvania
- Natural Gas Provider for Retail Stores in Pennsylvania
- Natural Gas for Office Buildings in Pennsylvania