How to Save on Heating When Hosting Holiday PartiesDecember 15th, 2013
The holiday season means many things—gift exchanges, cookie swaps, family get-togethers, lots of food, and more. But what all those social gatherings need is a host and warm home to invite everyone in, and chances are, you got that covered.
It’s that time of year to host a wide array of holiday parties at your home: your office gift swap, Christmas Eve with the in-laws, or even the New Year’s Day celebrations. Did you buy enough ham? Is your pork and sauerkraut recipe up to par this year? Will your street be snow-plowed in time? How much is this going to cost?
At UGI EnergyLink, we might not be able to control the weather elements or predict the amount of ham that will be consumed, but we can help you save on the cost of your party with the opportunity to save money on the cost to heat your home.
Choose Natural Gas from UGI EnergyLink
You want your guests to be comfortable in your Pennsylvania home, but how much of your oil or propane supply will that require? Prices seem to be skyrocketing, but what can you do?
What you can do is switch to UGI EnergyLink’s natural gas services provided to homes throughout Pennsylvania. Compared to propane and oil, natural gas is a more affordable heating choice. In fact, natural gas is:
- Affordable – costs are typically much lower than propane or oil heating costs
- Predictable – our fixed-rate pricing plan allows you to expect your monthly heating costs compared to fluctuating costs of oil or propane, but we also offer variable pricing depending on your preferences
- The cleanest burning fuel source – natural gas is the cleanest burning fuel option and emits less greenhouse gases than oil or propane
- Domestically abundant in supply – Pennsylvania is over a huge shale that is one of the biggest producers of natural gas domestically
With so many reasons to save, you can make the switch today and afford a second ham (or pecan pie, or both) in time for your holiday party!
More Heating Tips for Hosting Parties
In addition to making the switch to natural gas, on the day of the party, you should also use smart heating techniques to prepare the room where most people will be in:
- Open up the curtains to allow the sun to heat your home
- Close off the room to keep the heat from escaping to non-used areas of your house
- Turn your ceiling fans to the “reverse” or winter switch to push the warm air back down into circulation
Although your guests may have to face some of Pennsylvania’s brutal winter weather to get to your house, once there a high thermostat setting might not be necessary. Depending on how many people are in your home and what rooms you’re in, you may be able to turn your thermostat down and leave it to the eggnog (and not your heat vents) to make your guests’ cheeks pink—more people in the room naturally raise the temperature from their body heat.
As general heating practice and tips, you should also:
- Replace your furnace filters regularly, ensuring that your system is running as efficiently as possible
- Schedule an HVAC inspection or tune-up annually from a professional company; UGI EnergyLink offers HVAC protection plans to help extend the life of your gas furnace
- Install a whole-house humidifier to increase the humidity and indoor air quality within your home
Lock In an Affordable Natural Gas Rate with UGI EnergyLink
No matter when your holiday party is this season, UGI EnergyLink is here to help. Our transition process is easy—just fill out this simple enrollment form and you will join the UGI EnergyLink family that has been in the Pennsylvania area for more than 127 years.
Switching to our residential natural gas service in PA provides you with:
- An opportunity to choose your rate and lower your gas bill
- An easy way to switch and save
- No service interruptions
- A change to sign up for a UGI Advantage Protection Plan
We wish you the best with all of your holiday hosting plans, and if you’re ready to make the switch to UGI EnergyLink’s natural gas service, contact us today!