Residential Natural Gas, Propane, and Oil Prices in PennsylvaniaNovember 22nd, 2013
This year’s encroaching winter has made us all think twice about heating costs in Pennsylvania for the coming cold season. Natural gas, oil, and propane are all fuel options used to heat homes throughout the Commonwealth state—from Wyomissing to Harrisburg. But which one is best for your home?
When selecting which fuel to heat your PA home, you should not only consider the cost but also the energy efficiency of the fuel source—either natural gas, oil, or propane.
UGI EnergyLink has been providing services to keep homes warm for over 127 years and we’ve broken down the advantages and costs of each heating choice for the 2013-2014 season based on estimates and data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Cost of Oil for Heating Your Home in Pennsylvania
Although oil heating is a traditional form of fuel used to keep homes warm in the winter, you can expect to pay significantly more by selecting oil for your Pennsylvania home. Oil heating is:
- Costly—some estimate that oil heating is five times as expensive as natural gas
- Imported from abroad—oil often comes from regions that are economically and politically unstable
- Stored in tanks rather than delivered through pipelines—meaning that once this happens, the tanks of your home run empty, your house will become cold. Oil is less expensive when bought before the heating season, so it may be not only a hassle to refill your home heating oil tank mid-winter, but also costly
- A risk to the environment —there are also reports from the Department of Health and Environmental Control that old oil tanks found within residential property may rust and release oil into the environment if older than 20 years
Cost of Propane for Heating your Home in Pennsylvania
Propane is a heating fuel that is produced from natural gas, so it is inherently more costly due to the increase in energy resources required to yield the fuel. Residents of PA also find that propane as a home heating choice can experience:
- Volatile seasonal fluctuations in price—costs often spike unexpectedly and disproportionately compared to normal supply and demand fluctuations
- Higher cost at peak season—while a high demand will normally cause a price spike, since propane can be difficult to obtain during the heating season, the price jumps even more
The EIA expects that residential heating costs for propane this winter will increase by nine percent compared to last winter—that could mean an increase of hundreds of dollars just this season! This increase is due to higher prices compared to last winter.
Choosing Natural Gas for Heating Your Home in Pennsylvania
As a heating source for your home, natural gas is the obvious choice as compared to oil or propane. It is:
- Affordable—costs are typically much lower than propane or oil heating costs
- Predictable—our fixed-rate pricing plan allows you to expect your monthly heating costs compared to fluctuating costs of oil or propane, but we also offer variable pricing depending on your preferences
- The cleanest burning fuel source—natural gas is the cleanest burning fuel option and emits less greenhouse gases than oil or propane
- Domestically abundant in supply—Pennsylvania is over a huge shale that is one of the biggest producers of natural gas domestically
This year, the state of Pennsylvania has also produced a record amount of natural gas and is becoming one of the most productive gas resources in the world. This allows us the opportunity to offer lower prices than we could have if there was less supply of natural gas.
If you’re looking for more reasons to switch to natural gas to save on your heating costs this winter, the EIA also forecasts that this winter’s natural gas heating costs are lower than the previous 5-year average (collecting data since October 2007).
Switch to UGI EnergyLink’s Residential Natural Gas Services
Now is the perfect time to switch! Natural gas is not only a cleaner heating source when compared to oil and propane, but it is more affordable—with costs lower than the five year average. And with UGI EnergyLink’s pricing options, you can avoid being surprised by your high heating costs (and instead know what to expect from your monthly energy bills). We offer various pricing options, including a fixed-rate program that adds predictability and affordability to your winter heating costs.
If you are looking to switch heating sources for your Pennsylvania home, pick UGI EnergyLink! We are one of the largest, most well-reputed natural gas companies in your state—this gives us the opportunity to take advantage of the natural gas market and also provide great customer service to all our Pennsylvanian homeowner customers.
To take advantage of what UGI EnergyLink has to offer, simply fill out our easy enrollment form—some basic information is all it takes to switch to our natural gas service and to get the opportunity to save this winter!